How We Are Different
How is Ability Online different from other online "chat" environments?
Ability Online is not a typical chat/messaging community!
- Our community is comprised of children and youths who share the challenges associated with disabilities and/or chronic illness and their parents/care givers;
- Safety and security is paramount. Member identification is verified prior to permitting access to the site, public message areas are monitored, and all volunteers and staff are police-screened;
- We have zero tolerance for bullying or inappropriate behaviour;
- Our program supports a therapeutic model for recovery, meaning that program areas are designed to address needs across functional domains and can be used with varying levels of parent/therapist intervention;
- We provide opportunities for confidence building, skill development, and peer support;
- We strive to help our members in "off-line" areas of their lives, too, by providing mentors, homework help, and help with the transition to adulthood.